|“|| You've figured me out, little girl. They thought they got rid of me that day in the gallows, but they were wrong! Little May was only the beginning!
Sledgehammer, known as Robert Morris, is the first Subordinate encountered in Clock Tower 3. Prior to becoming a serial killer, he was known as Robert Morris, a stone-cutter. He uses a giant sledgehammer to bludgeon his victims to death.
He had killed 26 victims and was sentenced to 486 years. He was hanged, but was resurrected due to being a Subordinate and possessed by an Entity.
Clock Tower 3
He chases her throughout London, then stalks her relentlessly in Victoria Hall. Alyssa defeats him after a boss battle.
Near the end of the game, his deceased "spirit" is seen at the Ritual of Engagement with the rest of Dick Hamilton's Subordinates. All of them disappear when Alyssa uses the power of her Clover Necklace.
10 September 1941 - Robert Morris, 32, the man known as the Hammer Killer, has been hanged. Rumors regarding Morris' death are widespread. One witness reported: "He was hanging for a very long time, pulling on the straps and making unearthly noises, and blood was oozing through the black cap. The stench was terrible--some witnesses fainted and were carried out."
Morris' first victim was Tony Flanagan, 35, a fellow employee at the Banbury stonecutting factory. On 6 June 1940, Morris suddenly struck Flanagan on the head with a hammer, killing him instantly. All five workers present were killed in the same manner. Morris disappeared thereafter. A string of similar crimes occurred until the time of Morris's arrest on 6th March in Arleton, Hampshire.
Morris' victims numbered twelve, and no clear motive has been determined. Specialists continue to be baffled by the seemingly abrupt change in his behavior, as well as the extreme violence of his crimes.
- "I killed her!"
- "Alyssa! Where are you?!"
- "You're mine now!"
- "You're next!"
- His stalker theme is "Impending Destruction".
- If Sledgehammer is fought in Hard Mode, his sledgehammer is replaced with a spiked mace.
- It is possible his mask makes it harder for him to see, as he makes loud sniffing noises when he searches for Alyssa.
- In 1941, he was hanged, and when he killed May in 1942, he was already a Subordinate.
- For unknown reasons, one of the strategy guides for the game calls him "Richard Maurice". It is unknown if this is an error, or Sledgehammer's intended name that was mistranslated.