|“|| Blood... flesh... woman. You vile creature. You lure the man into your filthy body again and again. And you are allowed to do that because you are a precious, precious little princess! Precious, precious little princess!
Daniella is a severely mentally ill stalker from Haunting Ground. She is a resident and the maid of Belli Castle. In her free time, she cleans the castle when she isn't trying to murder Fiona Belli and rip her corpse open with her giant glass window shard.
Daniella has very pale skin, and light lavender hair in swirling pigtail ringlets with a side bang covering her right eye. Her right cheek has slight veins. She is slender and about a head taller than Fiona. Her face is expressionless, except when she smiles sinisterly. Daniella's palm has cuts and her fingertips are bloody.
She wears a long, dark turquoise maid dress with a stylized Caduceus symbol on her shoulder, along with large cuffs and a brooch. Her apron appears to be stained with blood. In Hard Mode, her dress is red.
Her back seems to have vertical scars on it, almost as if someone (likely Riccardo Belli) has sliced at her back several times with a sharp object, possibly to torture her or test if she can feel pain. If this is true, then it is possible Daniella may be used as an object for Riccardo's sadistic pleasure. However, it is also possible that the lines are simply part of a unique corset and that the prior speculation is false.
In the scene where Riccardo slaps Daniella on the face, a part of her lip almost appears grey where her cheek is bruised, possibly implying that Daniella wears purple lipstick.
Daniella is commonly seen wielding a shard of glass as a weapon when she becomes a stalker. But, if she is interacted with as she tends to the fire in the room of deception, it switches to a fire poker.
Initially, Daniella seems emotionless and apathetic. She is quiet and hardly speaks more than absolutely necessary. She does, however, seem kind, smiling at Fiona and giving her clothes and then making soup for her. At one point, Daniella may pass a gift from Lorenzo to Fiona: Hebel's Perfume.
Later, it is revealed Daniella is severely mentally ill and mentally unstable, suffering from a myriad of both psychological mental health issues, as well as physical abnormalities. Daniella is prone to erratic mood swings, split personalities, maniacal and hysterical laughter and screaming, and violent body/head twitching spasms. Diligent at heart, Daniella strives for perfection, and her desire to be the "perfect woman" has led her to levels of instability. She occasionally walks and moves like a robot or marionette. Fiona describes Daniella as "the maid from hell". The official Haunting Ground site suggests that Daniella may be brainwashed or drugged.
(Note: Clock Tower Wiki is not a mental/physical health professional, attempting to take the role of one or claiming Daniella has these disorders. This list is merely meant to analyze what Daniella probably deals with.)
Daniella shows symptoms of:
- Abnormality - Dysfunctional behavior
- Amnesia - Forgotten memories
- Ageusia - Daniella can't taste
- Anhedonia - Daniella can't feel pleasure
- Bipolar disorder - Daniella has mood swings
- Borderline personality disorder
- Blunted affect - Daniella seems emotionless
- Body dysmorphic disorder - Daniella hates mirrors
- Congenital insensitivity to pain - Daniella can't feel pain
- Depression (suicidal) - Daniella has suicidal-like cuts and smiles when she dies
- Dissociative identity disorder - Daniella often stops her maid persona in favor of killer persona
- Dysphoria - Daniella is unsatisfied with her current existence and does not enjoy being alive
- Mania - Daniella has laughing and screaming episodes
- Obsessive–compulsive disorder - Daniella seems obsessed with cleaning. If the player stays by her when she cleans, she could be perceived as seen cleaning the same spot for hours. She is also obsessed with ensuring every single door in the castle is closed, although it is possible this is merely a tactic to locate Fiona.
- Psychomotor retardation - Daniella has twitching spasms, walks extremely slowly at times with delayed movement, and walks like a marionette/robot
- Psychosis - Difficulty determining what is real
It is also possible Daniella may have an eating disorder, be somewhat malnourished or have mild anorexia. While she does seem to have a slender body, this is difficult to assess because is fully clothed. During dinner, Daniella isn't shown eating anything. Daniella gives Fiona clothing (which may be her own) and Fiona comments that the shirt is "tight". It is unknown if this is trying to imply Daniella's build is below-average, a joke of Fiona having big breasts, or something not intended to be important.
Even in the beginning of the game, her palms have cuts and her fingertips are bloody, implying that she may cut herself to try to feel pain, although this minor detail is never mentioned in the game. It could also be accidents from handling knives as she prepares food, as she cannot feel pain. During the window scene, Daniella's palms are fully covered in blood.
Daniella may not even feel sadness or depression, but blunted affect (no emotion).
Daniella dislikes looking at herself in the mirror, hating herself because she is "incomplete" and mirrors act as a reminder, and will shriek at the sight of her reflection. All of the mirrors and reflections in the Old Mansion are draped because Daniella does not want to look at her reflection.
Daniella may have a split personality disorder, alternating between leaving Fiona alone for "cleaning time" and then intending to murder Fiona during "kill Fiona time". Daniella chases after Fiona out of envy that Fiona has human qualities and envies Fiona. Daniella has a strong complex towards females because they can give birth while she can't, and is possibly a misogynist (dislikes women). Feeling robbed of maternity, Daniella feels useless, damaged and incomplete.
Fiona possesses the Azoth, a symbol of life, which Daniella believes will make herself fully human and "complete", and possibly make her fertile. With limited knowledge of alchemy, Daniella believes that if Fiona is killed, she can simply take it from her corpse after ripping out her uterus.
Contrary to popular belief, Daniella is not a homunculus, even though her comments, such as "My creator said he made me the perfect woman", imply she is. There is currently no official information stating and confirming that she is a homunculus. According to official supplementary information, Daniella believes that she is a mechanical doll or puppet created by Lorenzo Belli. It is suggested that Daniella may have been drugged or brainwashed. However, she is actually human and alive, although it can be theorized she is some sort of artificially/genetically modified human, which may explain her purple hair and ability to cry blood.
Daniella was born infertile. She was kidnapped, possibly as a baby or young girl, by Lorenzo to take care of Belli Castle. Since she is a maid, she does the food and cleaning tasks that Lorenzo is unable to do himself due to being confined in a wheelchair, possibly to no end, and has no sense of free will. Perhaps from drugs or brainwashing, Daniella has lost all of her former memories, and feels nothing, not even pleasure or pain. Daniella cannot experience taste either. Her senses are very numb and subdued, almost rendering her a complete apathetic and emotionless puppet.
Much of Daniella's life is a mystery, but she was presumably raised in Belli Castle with Riccardo and Debilitas. It's unknown if Daniella knows of the outside world beyond the walls of Belli Castle, or if she has ever attempted to escape. There are some old-fashioned TVs in the castle but they display only static, possibly implying that Lorenzo never connected them to any outside wireless signals. However, there are libraries in the castle - whether or not Daniella would have been able to read the books in them is unknown - it is unknown if Daniella is even literate. Daniella can speak English, but a lot of books in the castle are in Latin and foreign languages.
Given some of her comments during the game, it can be inferred that, like many women, Daniella sought romance and wanted a partner, as Daniella specifically mentions that Fiona can "lure a man into her filthy body", implying jealousy of Fiona's ability to find a relationship. It can be theorized that Lorenzo may have prohibited this, given that he already lost Ugo due to him eloping for the purpose of love, and Lorenzo would have probably felt that if Daniella found an "outsider", then she would likely desert him as well.
Daniella tends her own garden of mandragora, which are humanlike-faced plants that either screech or use their poisonous leaves as a defense mechanism. It is possible Daniella views them as a substitute for the children she will never have due to being unable to have biological children.
Daniella, commanded by Lorenzo, unlocks Fiona's cage. Fiona first encounters Daniella in the castle's guest room, who seems very unemotional and distant to her. Daniella provides Fiona basic clothing and then leaves. It appears that Daniella had already known about Fiona, possibly from Lorenzo, as she seems prepared for Fiona's arrival in the castle.
Later, Fiona encounters Daniella in the castle's kitchen preparing dinner. Fiona is shocked to see what appears to be blonde, human hair dangling from the ladle that Daniella is using to stir the soup.
In one hallway, the player may hear slapping sounds. If the player examines a door when Debilitas is not nearby, they will witness an optional scene in which Fiona peers into a keyhole in one of the castle's rooms and observes Daniella being repeatedly slapped by Riccardo for refusing to tell him where Lorenzo is hiding. At the end of this conversation, Daniella is somehow aware of Fiona's presence and smiles back at her, frightening her and may send her into a panic (depending on Fiona's current panic level and whether or not Fiona has anti-panic equipment). If Fiona does panic, Debilitas may come, so it is recommended that the player save the game at the nearest clock before viewing this optional scene if the player hasn't saved recently.
Once Debilitas is defeated by Fiona and Hewie, Daniella appears out of nowhere and urges Fiona to attend dinner when she tries to unlock a door. It is apparent that Daniella served Fiona too many dishes of soup (at least ten), making Fiona uncomfortable because she can't eat them all. In an awkward conversation in the castle's dining room, Fiona sits before Daniella who tells her that she cannot taste or experience pain and pleasure. Fiona, feeling uncomfortable, thanks Daniella for the meal and leaves the room to go rest in the guest room, since she had lost all of her energy after eating Daniella's soup (possibly because it contained human meat and may or may not contain the corpse of Fiona's mother). Daniella tries to taste Fiona's soup but is unsuccessful, and it reminds her she is "not complete".
Daniella snaps from a lifetime of endless maid chores and numb monotony, consumed by envy for Fiona's ability to feel pleasure and pain, and likely Fiona's ability to orgasm. Daniella reappears in Fiona's guest room and places her hand over Fiona's womb, jealous of Fiona's ability to bear children, causing Fiona to awaken. Daniella tells Fiona that she isn't "complete". Fiona watches in terror as Daniella begins repeatedly bashing her head against a window and breaking it. Daniella takes a glass shard from the shattered window, cutting and bleeding her palms in the process, and begins pursuing Fiona with it throughout the castle. At one point, when Fiona trips on stairs, Daniella notices a mirror on the wall and begins screaming at her reflection. Fiona takes the opportunity to flee to the Old Mansion.
Daniella's end comes when Fiona and Hewie enter a stargazing room and face her in a boss fight. Daniella tells Fiona that Fiona's body is "filthy", licks her glass shard/iron poker, and cries blood. After a boss fight, a mirror is revealed beneath her and, at the sight of her reflection, Daniella screams at such a high pitch that the glass above her shatters. Daniella notices and looks up, twirling in the falling shards. A huge shard then falls down upon her, impaling her through her abdominal area and her heart. Daniella smiles as she dies, happy that she has finally experienced pain and can die fulfilled, free and released from her boring and monotonous life and existence.
She initially attacks Fiona with a broken shard of glass. Like all the stalkers, Daniella has her own instant death kill attack. In Daniella's case, she will slice Fiona, but she usually giggles before using this move. This attack is avoidable if Fiona keeps her distance, or if Fiona attacks Daniella from behind.
If she can't find Fiona, she has a tendency to take her anger out on Hewie. When Daniella begins to get frustrated because of her inability to catch Fiona, she will begin to walk and chase Fiona differently. She will begin to sprint after her, and then, she will robotically walk after Fiona. When Daniella runs, she can be surprisingly fast.(0:30), (2:25), (4:48) and (5:57)
Daniella may grab Fiona's hand and the player must struggle by wiggling the analog stick and tapping the X button; if the player is successful, Daniella will let go of Fiona; if the player is unsuccessful, Daniella will pierce Fiona, resulting in a game over. If Fiona gets too close to Daniella, Daniella may shove Fiona to the floor and slash her throat open.
Daniella has a habit of closing doors behind her, which will slow her down a bit and give Fiona a little more time to run, but it can also be deadly if Fiona is in a closed room. There are several mirrors covered by sheets throughout Daniella's level which Fiona can remove, and Daniella can be lured in front of them and be temporarily distracted. She also has a tendency to wait in front of doors for Fiona to find her.
Daniella is the only stalker that can hide in the hiding spots that Fiona can use. Even though she can only hide in the closet and/or dresser, it is still an annoyance when she finds Fiona. The only way to tell if Daniella is there is if Hewie is growling at the closet and/or dresser. If Hewie growls at the hiding spot, then it is inadvisable to open it as Daniella will give chase.
If equipped with the optional fire poker, Daniella will become more aggressive toward Fiona and scream more often. In the player's favor though, she will also fail to catch Fiona's hiding places as quickly, and may not close doors as often. She can also charge, which is very frustrating to the player and may cause Fiona to panic or take extra damage.
Daniella's level has a few quirks. There is an iron maiden in one of the rooms. It is recommended to never hide in the iron maiden, unless the player is unlocking cutscenes in the movie gallery. There is a mandagora garden; upon obtaining the White Mandragora, they will shriek, altering Daniella to the garden. Fiona should instantly hide for a minute by crouching in the bottom right corner of the screen. The underground crypt where the golem is serves as a safe spot where Daniella will never appear. Also, near the end of Daniella's level, there is a laboratory with two bottles of acid - one "acetic acid", the other "sulfuric acid". Using the sulfuric acid is recommend.
During her boss fight, she is surprisingly frail, either due to her madness and insanity corrupting her, or because of previous injuries inflicted by Fiona and Hewie. She is consequently much easier to knock out than before, but she recovers faster as well. This is stated by Fiona, claiming that she must be "the maid from hell". In order to finally kill Daniella, Hewie needs to distract her as Fiona pushes the blocks onto their respective colored panels. Daniella must be lured onto the shining mirror in the middle.
- "I've gathered some clothes for you..."
- "Yes, Master... We will keep her here for a while... I will make sure she stays comfortable."
- "Preparations for dinner are complete, Master."
- "Dinner is served, Miss... Dinner is served, Miss..."
- "My creator said he made me the perfect woman... but I cannot taste... or experience pleasure... or feel... pain."
- "I am incomplete."
- "I am not complete."
- "Miss... It's cleaning time now."
- "Oh my. What a filthy little princess. A small present from the lord of the manor..."
- "Oh, Miss Fiona...?"
- "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" (high-pitched screaming)
- "Azoth... Azoth... Essence of life... of life... of wo... wo... woman... WOMAN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
- Her area theme is "Stalking Insanity", stalker theme is "Something Lacking" and boss theme is "Last Daniella".
- Daniella's name is never spoken in the game, thus Fiona never discovers it; when Fiona refers to Daniella, she simply uses "she" or "the maid". Her name is merely listed in the game's booklet, and in the character viewer.
- Her full name may be "Daniella Belli", considering how she was "adopted" by Lorenzo. However, this is technically an unknown assumption.
- Daniella possesses an unnatural purple tint to her hair. In some scenes, Lorenzo is also seen with unnatural purple skin. It is highly possible that they are connected, and that the purple is a result of an alchemical substance, possibly Azoth itself.
- The player can entirely avoid Daniella by simply not examining her in the Room of Truth, which is unlocked with the Jupiter Key.
|Daniella serving dinner|
- There is unused voice dialog of Daniella serving dinner in the game's files.
- The dolls, mannequins, and carousel horses seen throughout her level are likely symbolic of her desire to be truly alive and not a replicate of something else.
- It is possible that what Daniella is seen cooking in a pot at the beginning of the game is the remains of a human being, possibly Fiona's mother, Ayla Belli or a female homunculus similar to the one that Fiona saw in a water-filled tank in Riccardo's laboratory. Fiona comments that it looks something like "angel hair pasta." (Ayla and the female homunculus possess fine, blonde hair.) Later on, Fiona will comment that "the pot is filled with what look like tendrils. Wait a second, this looks like...human hair!" Daniella supposedly serves this to Fiona later on; Fiona does taste some of it before hesitantly thanking Daniella for the meal and leaving. Immediately after, Fiona comments that she doesn't feel good and seems to have lost all of her energy. Who Daniella may have cooked is never explicitly revealed.
- When Fiona enters the Crypt to progress into the mansion, Daniella is unable to pursue her, thus making it a safe place to rest. It is possible that the alchemic circles on the floor act as a barrier and prevents Azoth or alchemically enhanced beings from gaining passage. Daniella could originally go inside the crypt, as a screenshot of her is shown on the Japanese website in the Items section.
- Daniella's voice actor, Moira Quirk, was inspired by Mrs. Danvers from the movie Rebecca.  Moira Quirk said, "Daniella freaks me out quite honestly."
- After Daniella's death in Hard Mode, her dress returns its original dark turquoise color.
- In Fiona's game over screen, Daniella appears to be ripping Fiona's clothes off and cutting into her womb in order to obtain the Azoth latent inside.
- Daniella is the only stalker (and character, besides Fiona's parents) to not appear in any of the endings.
- The only ending in which she does not die in is Ending C, the "Dona Nobis Pacem" ending.
- The way Daniella admires her glass shard is very similar to what Stephanie Tate does with her knife in Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within.